You are all familiar with the stereotypes of midlife crisis- buying a red convertible, spending exorbitant amounts of money on new toys, make impulsive life changing decisions, or taking extravagant vacations. For a long time now these have been the associations related to the midlife years and the term has been generally used as a negative one. Nowadays, the midlife crisis is being viewed as the height of an individual’s life. It isn’t so bad to be “middle aged” anymore and the midlife crisis now refers to more commonly as the midlife transition. Facilities like career counseling for working professionals are also available.
Midlife transition – common experience for all
- A midlife transition is a common experience of adulthood and it affects both men and women differently. Both sexes can experience a shift in identity, values, and question self worth.
- These issues can be affected by a variety of different reasons- children growing up, a desire to change careers, prove self worth, or pursue unrealized dreams and passions. In many ways the midlife years can be a wonderful opportunity to pursue these dreams.
- Generally, midlife individuals deal with negative imprints that lead to self doubt and anxiety. After so many years of living life a certain way it can be scary to pursue new hobbies, careers, and new tasks.
- At this point it is important to carefully assess priorities and values. Often time’s midlife parents realize that they don’t even know what their interests are after spending all their time being parents or committed spouses. Taking a new direction in life can be a scary and overwhelming experience.
Here are some steps you can take to own your midlife years:
Write a bucket list. Figure out what it is you want to do in life. What are your unrealized dreams? What is it that you want to do with your free time? Was there something that you always wanted to do but never did? Make a list of career counseling for working professionals and find ways to prioritize achieving your goals. Find ways to be proactive and achieve every single one of your goals so that the “negative chatter” goes away and you can focus on being you.
Midlife crisis of Women
- Women in particular can experience a difficult time with midlife years. In this youth obsessed culture it’s easy to get wrapped up with looking beautiful and youthful. More and more people are starting to look younger and younger with new and improved beauty regimens and plastic surgery operations.
- However, it’s ok to age! While getting a new injection or going under the knife may be a self booster, it’s only a temporary fix and it’s important to accept that with age come the wrinkles. With the wrinkles comes experience and that’s ok. Embrace age and wisdom is its own form of beauty in itself.
Another option is considering getting a life coach to help with prioritizing and organizing goals. Life coaches are trained professionals that focus on helping individuals deal with life transitions and achieve life goals. A life coach can also be a great cheerleader or morale booster to fight for you in your corner and help you get through any tough transitions you may be experiencing.
Seek professional help to get rid of the problem
Some of the people may face a sense of liberation when going through a midlife crisis, while other people may be more clinically unhappy. Everyone is dissimilar, and there is no way of knowing how people may receive the diverse emotions they feel when going through such a alteration in their own lives. Many men do well getting professional help to talk about what they are going through.
Learn and develop yourself
If you are going through such type of male midlife crisis or transition , then lessen the stress in your life if at all possible, practice meditation, seek the support of family and friends, and continue to learn and develop yourself, be sure to eat well, take a healthy vitamin, and exercise regularly. Career counseling for working professionals will assist you start to feel better. Always try to seek balance in your life and you will start to feel enhanced overall. You are not alone!